Friday 9 April 2010

Conversations with an Essex teenager.

Amy, 17 from Essex spoke candidly with me about her experiences living in Essex and why she can't wait to move to London.

Where do you live?

I live in Corringham/ Stanford-le-Hope. I can't wait to move out of this place and I want to live in a city. I'll move away when I go to Uni next September.

I'd describe a typical Essex girl... fake tan, loud, drinks a lot, big jewellery and lots of make-up, under-age drinking and maybe pregnant, probably smokes (haha). They love Jordan and Cheryl Cole, god knows why?!

What do you think of Upminster?

It has an older community not filled with as many young people hanging around the shops and streets etc. It has mainstream shops like Boots and Costa which wouldn't be seen in little Corringham filled with cafes and even an arcade, which is odd!
My favourite thing about Upminster would probably be the duck pond its a lovely little walk around their, and the worst, um, not sure about that I love the place!
I'm always at Lakeside working and shopping, its got everything their people need, shops, restaurants and cinema. I go to Southend often on a night out.

How is Essex different to London?

In London you can escape from some of the stereotypes associated with people living in Essex. Its much larger with lots of places to go to, not as many restrictions as when going out in Essex. If you was to go out for the night in Romford it's not hard to imagine what to expect however LDN provides a wider variety of people, places, culture etc.

Any final thoughts?

I hate being associated with anything and everything about Essex. It's to hard to stereotype people living in the capital because theirs such a range, wish I could move right now!

1 comment:

  1. Romford and Upminster are in London.
    Corringham and Stanford-le-Hope are in the Borough of Thurrock. Nobody seems 100% sure if Thurrock is in Essex or not.

    ReplyDelete